In a fortunate turn of events, a 76-year-old man in Kerala’s Thrissur district narrowly avoided a potential disaster when his mobile phone unexpectedly exploded while in his shirt pocket. The incident occurred at a local tea shop, where the man, identified as Eliyas, was peacefully enjoying a cup of tea. According to a report by Manorama News, the battery of his phone had heated up, leading to the explosion.
Thankfully, Eliyas managed to escape unharmed from the incident. The unexpected explosion serves as a reminder of the potential dangers associated with mobile phone batteries and the importance of handling them with caution.
This unfortunate event marks the third reported case of a mobile phone explosion in the state of Kerala within a span of less than a month. The incidents highlight the need for continued awareness and vigilance regarding mobile phone safety to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
The incident, captured on video, has gained widespread attention on TV channels and social media platforms. The footage depicts the elderly man seated at a table in the tea shop, enjoying his tea when suddenly his phone erupts in a burst of sound and ignites, causing flames to engulf his shirt. The viral video shows the immediate reaction of the man, who quickly jumps up, accidentally knocking over his tea glass, and desperately attempts to remove the phone from his pocket. Fortunately, the man escaped unharmed, according to an officer from the Ollur police station, which has jurisdiction over the area where the incident occurred.
The man informed the police that he had purchased the mobile phone for Rs 1,000 a year ago and it was a basic feature phone. He stated that there had been no previous issues with the device, as reported by PTI.
This incident follows a similar occurrence in Kozhikode city last week when a man suffered burns after a mobile phone in his trouser pocket exploded.
These incidents underscore the importance of mobile phone safety and highlight the need for users to be cautious when handling such devices. Authorities and consumers are urged to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions to prevent such accidents in the future.